Kirk Ella – Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Beacon Division) – County Council Electoral Division Welton – Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon – Poor Law Union of Sculcoates – County Court District of Hull – Rural Deanery of Howden – Archdeaconry of the East Riding – Diocese of York.
Kirk Ella is one of the three counties that formerly constituted Hullshire, or the county of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull, but was, by an Act of Parliament passed in 1838, annexed to the Hunsley Beacon Division of the Harthill wapentake. The parish comprises the township of its own name, and that of West Ella, as well as the greater part of those of Anlaby and Willerby. By a Local Government Order, dated December 16th, 1878, a detached portion of Kirk Ella and also a detached portion of West Ella were amalgamated with the parish of Newington. The township of Kirk Ella contains 980 acres, and is valued for rating purposes at £3,422. There were, in 1891, 354 inhabitants. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil clay; and wheat, oats, barley, and beans, are largely grown. Charles Percy Sykes, Esq., J.P., West Ella Hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner; the other proprietors are Arthur Egginton, Esq., J.P., South Ella; John Smyth Egginton, Esq., Kirk Ella; John Fisher, Esq., J.P., Willerby; and Richard Willows, Esq., of Willerby.
At the time of the Domesday Survey, Kirk Ella, or Elvele, as then known, formed part of the manor of North Ferriby, which was held by Ralph de Mortimer. The Tysons and the Vescis appear to have possessed land here at an early period, but it is often impossible to trace the descent of estates in those faroff times. Gilbert Tyson gave the church of St. Andrew and the tithes to Selby Abbey. In the reign of Edward II., the Wakes, lords of Cottingham, were owners of the greater part of Kirk Ella and West Ella, but how it came into their possession is not known.
The village stands about four miles west from Hull, and in close proximity to Willerby and Kirk Ella stations, on the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient building of stone in the Early Gothic and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, with side chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and a western tower in the Perpendicular style. The nave is divided from the aisles by arcades of four pointed arches; those on the north spring from circular pillars, and those on the south from octagonal columns. The clerestory is lighted by four pointed windows of three lights on each side, and appears to have been rebuilt in the Decorated period. The windows of the chancel are filled with stained glass, as also are several of those in the aisles and nave. The elongation of the north aisle forms the Legard chapel, which is divided from the chancel by two pointed arches, and from the aisle by an oak screen. It is now used as an organ chamber and vestry, and contains several tablets to the memory of the Sykes family. On the north wall of the chancel is a beautiful monument of white marble to Joseph Sykes, Esq., merchant, alderman and twice mayor of Hull, who died in 1805. Commerce is represented, seated on the base, with a ship, bales of goods, hammer and anvil, &c.; above is a rock and sarcophagus, and a figure of the deceased rising; and there are representations of Religion, Justice, and Charity. This monument was executed by J. Bacon, junr. There is also a monument by Chantrey, in memory of Daniel Sykes, Esq., formerly M.P. for Hull. It bears a well-executed bust of that distinguished statesman and philanthropist. The tower is of later date than the rest of the church. In the west front is a niche with a statue of St. Andrew holding his X shaped cross; and on the south side, near the top, is inscribed “I, John Berry, built this church. Pray for the soul of John Berry.” The tower contains a clock and six bells, which were presented in 1883 by Arthur Egginton in memory of his mother; there are also memorial windows and tablets to the same family. The registers date from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, and, as before stated, was given at an early period to Selby Abbey; and in the reign of Edward III. it was transferred to the newly founded monastery of Haltemprice, by Thomas, Lord Wake, of Lydell, who gave to the monks of Selby lands in Hessle in exchange. It was appropriated to the monastery and a perpetual vicarage ordained, the ministerial functions being performed by one of the canons of Haltemprice. On the dissolution of that house the patronage reverted to the Crown, and was granted by Henry VIII. to Sir Ralph Ellerker. The present patron is the Rev. Richard Henry Foord, B.A., rector of Foxholes, and the Rev. James Foord, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, is the vicar. The gross value of the living is £500, including 44 acres of glebe, with residence.
The churchyard is now full, and about half-an-acre of land has been acquired for conversion into a cemetery. It is situated about half-a-mile south of the church.
There is a well-built school for the children of Kirk Ella, West Ella, and Willerby. It will accommodate 140, and has an average attendance of 103. There is a reading room and library in connection with the church.
A Convalescent Home for seven patients is supported by Mrs. Dora Barkworth, of South Lea, Avant, Hants.